The Katana is a powerful weapon, arguably on the level of the Chainsaw and the classic Rambo Knife. The Katana can be swung at an incredibly fast speed and damages Smoker's tongues on contact. One of the animations spins the sword around, damaging all near the user. The Katana does, however, use a low amount of energy for each swing. If paired with the Straw Hat and an effective primary it is a very formidable weapon indeed.
Historically, the katana (刀?) is one of the traditionally made Japanese swords (日本刀 nihontō?) that was used by the samurai of feudal Japan. Modern versions of the katana are sometimes made using non-traditional materials and methods. The katana is characterized by its distinctive appearance: a curved, slender, single-edged blade with a circular or square guard and a long grip to accommodate two hands. The sword was usually carried together with wakizashi (basically a short katana sword) or tantō (even shorter, more like a knife).
- You can run with this weapon while it is out, just like with the Rambo Knife.
- You can also cut Smoker's tongues with this, just like the Rambo.
- The Katana has a very fast rate of attack (taking approximately 0.5 seconds per attack), capable of dealing serious damage.
- Recommended in FFA; although guns will encounter you, so don't run like a W+M1 Pyro in Team Fortress 2.
- Using it with the Straw Hat gives a huge bonus to stamina, allowing you to run and slice through hordes to reach teammates, that are in trouble, or the escape vehicle at the last second.
- If un-equipped, it will rest on your back, adding a nice visual effect to the weapon.
- The Katana cannot break doors and glass.
- This melee weapon uses a special type of damage similar to that of what the Chainsaw uses: damage per tick.
- Reformed in R2DA.