The crossbow is an explosive weapon, capable of doing major damage when used properly. It is the only explosive weapon that is allowed in Free For All. Best used to set traps, and defend positions. Effective against Tanks.
A crossbow is a bow mounted on a stick (called a tiller or stock) with a mechanism in it which holds the drawn bow string. The earliest designs featured a slot in the stock, down into which the string was placed. To shoot this design, a vertical rod is thrust up through a hole in the bottom of the notch, forcing the string out. This rod is usually attached perpendicular to a rear-facing lever called a trigger or "tickler". A later design implemented a rolling cylindrical pawl called a "nut" to retain the string. This nut has a perpendicular center slot for the bolt, and an intersecting axial slot for the string, along with a lower face or slot against which the internal trigger sits. They often also have some form of strengthening internal "sear" or trigger face, usually of metal. These "roller nuts" were either free-floating in their close-fitting hole across the stock, tied in with a binding of sinew or other strong cording, or mounted on a metal axle or pins. Removable or integral plates of wood, ivory or metal on the sides of the stock kept the nut in place laterally. Nuts were made of antler, bone, or metal. Bows could be kept and ready to shoot for some time with little effort, allowing crossbowmen to aim better.
- Yes, explosive arrows will kill you. They have a timer of 4 seconds.
- Arrows are always explosive, doesn't matter if they stick to surfaces or zombies.
- Very effective next to ammo tables.
- To hide the arrow, you can shoot corners or edges of floors and walls. This can make a surprise attack on unsuspecting zombies near it.
- Originally unable to be refilled during debug.
- There was a time where the arrows weren't explosive during debug.
- There was a glitch that allows you to keep shooting arrows in a burst when standing next to an ammo table. It was fixed in v57.
- Before it was fixed, it was common to see survivors with this spamming a blocked door right next to an ammo table.
- Spamming the explosive crossbows also caused major amounts of lag.